Our Full Governing Body
All governors are invited to attend meetings of the Full Governing Body which meets regularly (usually five times a year). Individual members of staff, associate members and other guests may be invited to attend for particular items, depending on the topic under discussion. Only governors can vote at these meetings. We post the minutes of these meetings on this page once they have been approved at the next meeting.
Minutes of the Full Governing Body 2018/19: 13 September 2018
The Full Governing Body delegates some responsibilities to committees. Both our governors and associate members have voting rights on the committees of which they are members. The current committees are:
- Finance & Premises
- Pay & Personnel
- Achievement & Families
2016/17 - record of governors' attendance
Finance & Premises Committee (Chair: Jerry Appleyard)
By delegating a set of specific financial management tasks to the Finance & Premises Committee, the Governing Body retains its overall control of the Federation's income and expenditure without having to do the detailed work of budgeting, forecasting, analysing or reporting.
The Federation's Finance & Premises Committee carries out the following tasks:
- preparing budgets for approval by the governing body
- exploring different expenditure options
- forecasting likely future income levels based on pupil numbers and government funding formulas
- monitoring budgeted income and expenditure
- adjusting in-year expenditure and projected financial outturns
- ensuring accounts are properly finalised at year end
- evaluating the effectiveness of financial decisions
- reporting on the schools' financial controls to government/local authority
- investigating financial management risks
- reviewing and updating financial policies and processes
- administering the schools' private funds
- developing and monitoring premise development plans
- overseeing capital project working groups
- reviewing school lettings
- health and safety, emergency procedures and risk assessments
The Committee reports to the governing body in respect of any actions taken or decisions made at regular intervals in the financial year. Committee members include a qualified accountant and governors with financial and business skills and interests.
Pay & Personnel Committee (Chair Alison de Lord)
The key roles and responsibilities of the Pay & Personnel Committee are to:
- oversee the Pay Policy to ensure compliance with the school teachers’ pay and conditions of service document (STPCD)
- oversee performance management and ensure moderation takes place across the Federation
- undertake the both headteachers' performance review annually and organise the performance review panel
Achievement & Families Committee (Chair: Sharon White)
The Achievement & Families Committee is responsible for
- Safeguarding - including child protection and Prevent
- Student achievement and progress - including whole school, vulnerable students, Pupil Premium Grant, special educational needs, looked after children and child protection
- Monitoring the quality of teaching, learning and assessment
- Key Performance Indicators - behaviour, attendance, punctuality, exclusions and referrals
- Self Evaluation Framework - relevant areas of summary and data
- School Improvement Partner reports
- Parental and community engagement
- Monitoring the range and impact of extra-curricular activities on pupil learning
- Teaching and learning - curriculum policy and design
- School Council
- Wellbeing - strategy and pastoral care
- Subject reviews (as required) - based on feedback from subject link governors
The Committee is made up of a cross section of the school community enabling wide areas of expertise, perspectives and accountability. It undertakes a focused ‘learning walk’ across the schools each term. Meeting agendas are driven by the School Improvement Plans.
Strategy Group (Chair: Billy Day)
As well as our committees we also have a less formal Strategy Group which brings together the Chair and Vice Chair of Governors, both headteachers and each of the committee chairs. It is a way to discuss cross cutting issues that have arisen at the committee meetings and deal with policy or strategy matters.
Telling you about our meetings
The Chair of Governors updates parents, carers and other interested parties on the highlights of governor meetings in the regular newsletter for parents (please see the menu to the right).
As well as posting minutes of Full Governing Body meetings on this page, we keep hard copies of these minutes and those of our committees in the office at Hampton Hill Junior School. If you would like to inspect these, please contact the office staff who will be happy to help.
Sometimes we have to keep parts of the minutes confidential, for example because they relate to individual members of staff. We only do this in exceptional circumstances as we strive to be as open and transparent about our discussions as possible. These ("Part II") minutes are kept in a locked cabinet in the school office and cannot be inspected by members of the public.
If you would like any further information about our meetings please do not hesitate to email the Clerk to Governors: firstname.lastname@example.org